POTTY TRAINING...
Should those words be accompanied by a clap of thunder and dun-dun-dun-dun type music?
I guess that depends on your experience. I've heard several moms of young kids say that POTTY TRAINING was the worst experience of motherhood yet. With their words ringing in my ears I finally approached p.t. with a goodly amount of trepidation. However, I was hoping this might turn out like childbirth (so many horror stories, but really not at all bad if you are prepared...and best not to listen to those stories at all) and that, armed with a secret weapon, it would be a breeze.
THE WEAPON:
This is the book MY parents used to p.t. me and most of my 7 siblings (that is until they got sick of p.ting and just had my oldest sister and brother do it for them).
LAST WEEK OF AUGUST--THE 1ST ATTEMPT:
I read and reread the book, bought 3 versions of a kiddie potty, stocked up on supplies and took the plunge. The night before I crammed like crazy, scribbled reminders on the bathroom mirror and had that sick night-before-a-final feeling. Things went okay, but not exactly like the book said--Eden wasn't really motivated by the psychologically proven motivators. By the end of two or three days (can't remember which--it's all a hazy blur now) stuck in the house I decided to bag it (and had that I-just-failed-a-final feeling).

FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER--SUCCESS:
The book said that p.ting should be done in a positive, happy, excited manner. I tried, but I think my feeling of "do or die" might have shown through the forced smiles. Our second attempt was totally different. Eden didn't have to be taught the procedure this time and we were way casual about the whole thing. I just stuck her in undies because she wanted to, reminded her she had them on occasionally, set a timer to go off once an hour and had her try going about that often. And she did!...And loved it!...And got to watch the long-awaited "Word Factory" when she was finally able to do her business in the potty (the big potty--she hated each one of the tiny potties we bought her)!
She is now a Potty Pro and does everything by herself! And really, it was not too bad. I think my smiles will be a lot less forced when it comes time to p.t. Noah.
Should those words be accompanied by a clap of thunder and dun-dun-dun-dun type music?
I guess that depends on your experience. I've heard several moms of young kids say that POTTY TRAINING was the worst experience of motherhood yet. With their words ringing in my ears I finally approached p.t. with a goodly amount of trepidation. However, I was hoping this might turn out like childbirth (so many horror stories, but really not at all bad if you are prepared...and best not to listen to those stories at all) and that, armed with a secret weapon, it would be a breeze.
THE WEAPON:
This is the book MY parents used to p.t. me and most of my 7 siblings (that is until they got sick of p.ting and just had my oldest sister and brother do it for them).LAST WEEK OF AUGUST--THE 1ST ATTEMPT:
I read and reread the book, bought 3 versions of a kiddie potty, stocked up on supplies and took the plunge. The night before I crammed like crazy, scribbled reminders on the bathroom mirror and had that sick night-before-a-final feeling. Things went okay, but not exactly like the book said--Eden wasn't really motivated by the psychologically proven motivators. By the end of two or three days (can't remember which--it's all a hazy blur now) stuck in the house I decided to bag it (and had that I-just-failed-a-final feeling).

FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER--SUCCESS:
The book said that p.ting should be done in a positive, happy, excited manner. I tried, but I think my feeling of "do or die" might have shown through the forced smiles. Our second attempt was totally different. Eden didn't have to be taught the procedure this time and we were way casual about the whole thing. I just stuck her in undies because she wanted to, reminded her she had them on occasionally, set a timer to go off once an hour and had her try going about that often. And she did!...And loved it!...And got to watch the long-awaited "Word Factory" when she was finally able to do her business in the potty (the big potty--she hated each one of the tiny potties we bought her)!
She is now a Potty Pro and does everything by herself! And really, it was not too bad. I think my smiles will be a lot less forced when it comes time to p.t. Noah.
4 comments:
Good work! I have already told Moss he is in charge of potty training and he didn't seem to mind. He might not have heard me though dang! haha. We will have to have a long chat with you before we attempt it, but we have awhile still.
Congratulations. I think it does help when they are older and girls...
Ty waits to the last minute then we are running for our lives to the potty...It's pretty funny (most of the time)
He was a easier than Gavin! THANK GOODNESS! (or I was more calm) ;-)
Love the bib and undies picture! Congratulations to you and Eden on a job well done! Yea!
Yeah Eden! I'll have to look for that book. I'm going to try for January when we're locked inside anyway.
Post a Comment